Police have arrested six men suspected of planning an attack sponsored by the Al-Shabaab militant group from neighboring Somalia.
Inspector General of police, Joseph Boinnet, in a statement said that two of the suspects were Kenyans and the others were Somali nationals.
The six are said to have been dispatched from Burhanche in Somalia by their commanders to launch attacks in Kenya.
Police also seized assembled explosives, four suicide vests and bomb-making materials such as TNT.
“The six had been dispatched from Burhanche in Somalia by their commanders to launch attacks in Kenya,” Boinnet said.
Boinnet said Kenyan security forces worked with their counterparts in Somalia to foil the attack and to capture the suspects.
He said the captured men were being interrogated to establish the extent of the entire network.
The country has faced a constant security challenge from across the border ever since it sent its troops into Somalia in late 2011, to help defeat the al Shabaab militants and restore order.
Elsewhere, residents of Kamuge Village in Turkana East are calling on the Government to beef up security in the area following the death of six people who were shot dead by armed bandits early Monday.
A total of 19 houses were razed while the bandits escaped with 9 donkeys during the early morning attack.
Three people who were injured in the attack are receiving treatment at Lodwar Referral Hospital.
According to residents, police reservists responded swiftly to the attack by the bandits, sparking a shoot out that lasted almost two hours.
The reservists managed to kill several bandits in the firefight.